Upper Montgomery Assistance Network
...Serving the Community since 1989
The Upper Montgomery Assistance Network provides
emergency financial assistance, education, and referral
services to people in our community who are at risk of
The Upper Montgomery Assistance Network, a faith based organization,
recognizes that we are all called by God to maintain human
dignity. We believe that our society has an obligation
to help those in need. We aspire to:
- Be compassionate to our clients.
- Ensure sufficient funding to conduct our mission.
- Provide convenient access to our services.
- Develop greater awareness of our existence.
- Housing: Preventing evictions and foreclosures, and providing relocation expenses.
- Utilities: Assisting with electricity, gas, water, and heating oil bills.
- Service Area: Gaithersburg, Germantown, and Derwood.
Zip codes of 20855, 20874, 20876, 20877, 20878, 20879, 20880, 20882, and 20886.
- Office Hours: Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
How Do We Help?
- UMAN provides clients with a single point of entry for assistance, thus minimizing the possibility of abuse.
- UMAN responds to requests by verifying information with landlords, utility companies and Montgomery County
- UMAN addresses the appropriateness of providing funds, and assists the client in prioritizing needs
and accessing available resources. Grants for assistance are
paid directly to landlords or utility companies.
- Clients are also referred to financial counseling and to government and private
agencies for long-term solutions to their problems.
- UMAN provides all services in English and Spanish.
Whom Do We Help?
UMAN helps families and individuals who live in the areas of Gaithersburg, Germantown and Derwood
and are facing eviction, foreclosure or utility disconnection. UMAN helps
all people regardless of race, religion, sex, age or national origin.
Who Supports UMAN?
UMAN is supported through the generosity of area congregations, and by grants
from the local government, foundations, United Way, and through the generosity of
private citizens and businesses.
UMAN daily operations depend on the services provided by its trained and experienced team of volunteers.